October 27, 2013

Potato & Leek Soup

I saw some whopper leeks at the farmer's market last weekend and combined with the potatoes in our pantry, was inspired to try another soup recipe: potato and leek soup. This soup is really really simple and inexpensive to make.  Not to mention, it is perfect for late fall - hearty, rich and delicious, without all that guilt accompanied by heavy cream. It’s even substantial enough to make a meal on it’s own with a side salad and some bread. 


Yields: 4 to 6 servings

What you'll need:
+ 1/2 cup of butter
+ 1 large yellow onion, chopped roughly
+ 1 large leek, thinly sliced
+ 3 to 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
+ 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
+ 3 cups chicken or veggie stock
+ 1/2 cup white wine (optional, but totally recommended)
+ salt and pepper, to taste
+ fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional) 

Steps:
1| Melt butter in large and deep saucepan.  Add the onions, leeks and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions have become soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
2| Gradually stir in the stock. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
3| Puree the soup with an immersion blender.  If you want some chunky potato bits, pulse for only a few seconds.  If you want smooth and creamy soup, pulse for slightly longer.
4| Add hot water or more stock to the puree until it is the consistency you desire.
5| Add the white wine and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Warm through.
6| Ladle into serving bowls and garnish.  Serve with garlic toast.

Cooking notes:
To clean leeks, halve the white portions of the leeks lengthwise and rinse under cold running water. Be sure to wash thoroughly as there is soil trapped in between the leaves. 

While the color of this soup doesn't look too appealing, it's all about flavor.  If you want a little color, substitute some of the white potato for sweet potato.

Enjoy!

__________

For your weekend reading, this past week I:
>> Showed you what's in my camera bag.
>> Shared my favorite Halloween movies and revisited my ghosts of cosumtes past.
>> Shared tips for getting the most out of your farmer's market experience.
>> [Re]introduced myself to all of my old and new friends.

 photo marsignature_zpsfb974fa3.jpg
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Yum totally will have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely going to try this! Around this time of year my want to make soup kicks into high gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato and leek soup - it's a perfect fall dish. I've usually made it with thyme, but I'll add in your white wine and parsley next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many potatoes? I LOVE potato and leek soup - it's such great fall comfort food. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - I swear that potato info wasn't there before. Maybe I just need to learn to read. Regardless- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama Evoy called last night to rave about "Marla's soup" that she had made! She said it was delish and super easy! Keep em comin Chef Wales! Xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Blog Design Created by pipdig