September 13, 2013

DIY// Driftwood Candle Holder



I am in love with the lake and all of the treasures that wash up on shore.  There is something so calming about treasuring hunting while the waves lap the shore and the gentle breeze blows. I love all of the driftwoof that washes up - each piece is unique.  With our move to a condo in the big city, I won't have the beach as my escape.  So instead, I've decided I will bring the beach to us with these simple and cheap driftwood candle holders.

Materials:
+ piece of driftwood (see notes below)
+ tealight candles (the ones with metal around them)
+ measuring tape
+ pencil
+ drill
+ 1.5'' spade or orbital drill bit
+ safety glasses
+ fine-grain sand paper

notes about the driftwood:  
// select a piece that is appealing to you
// piece must be at least 3 inches wide and with enough depth so that the candle will sit in nicely
// rinse the piece off with the hose and let it dry completely before drilling
// leave the piece outside for a few days to ensure it is completely dry and allow any critters calling it home to make an exit (sounds gross I know, but you'll thank me later)

Steps:
+ Choose the top side of you candle holder.  Make sure it sits flat.  
+ With the pencil and tape measure, mark where you want the centre of the candle. 
+ Drill away.  I recommend holding your wood in place with some sort of clamp to prevent it from slipping.  
+ Make sure you wear safety glasses.  Saw dust will be flying everywhere!
+ Drill the hole deep enough for the top of your candle to sit at or just above the wood line.
+ Make sure the holes are flat and even to prevent wax from getting everywhere.
+ To prevent slivers, sand any rough areas of the driftwood.  The finer grain sandpaper the better.
+ Add your candles and test that baby out!

Ironically, the power went out half way through writing this post so I was able to put it to good use.






Happy Friday the 13th!

 photo marsignature_zpsfb974fa3.jpg
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. This is really cute, and something that would totally go with our planned nautical decor once we remodel the home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUUUUTE blog! Did you design it yourself? I'm your newest follower.

    x0x0 char
    http://schrammparentsmission.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to MY blog. haha sorry I copied and pasted my parent's blog link before. embarrassing. haha
    http://www.char-and-jared.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mar, I'm a new follower from the GFC hop. This tutorial is great and easy too. Can I just say I love your blog layout? So simple and chic! :)

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Blog Design Created by pipdig